Saturday, February 25, 2017

Batch #163 - Smoked Pumpkin Ale


Smoking and roasting an organic pumpkin given to me by Whitney Will of Roaring Gardens Greenhouse and Gardens, on my Big Green Egg roaster, I carved the flesh from the pumpkin and boiled it in the beer wort for 30 minutes, when I brewed the next day.  In hindsight, I should have boiled the pumpkin for only the last 15 minutes instead of 30, because it came out a bit "over-smoked", in my view.  However, many of my homebrew fans disagreed.  After aging the bottles for a few months, it has settled into a nice, though powerful, smoky beer.

Rahr Pale Ale malted barley
Dark Munich malt
English Brown malt
Crystal 120L malt
Columbus whole leaf hops
Centennial whole leaf hops
Safale S-04 dry yeast
organic cane sugar for bottling

Brewed 2016.Oct.15

No comments:

Post a Comment