Thursday, September 2, 2021

Batch #210 ~ Summer Kolsch Ale

 


Brewed on 5.June, this Munich malt and Cellar Science "Nectar" yeast brought a very unique and pleasant flavor to this beer.  It came out at 7.0% abv, and is labeled to welcome pollinators back to the garden.

This lady is a Yellowjacket, a species that was prevalent in the garden this season.  My Apricot tree served as host to an invasion of Aphids, which our Ladybug and Trichogramma Wasp communities are here to control.  This year, the Aphid invasion was particularly strong, and the Yellowjackets, an omnivorous bee, consumed both flower nectar and Aphids, voraciously.

I was never stung by the Yellowjackets in my garden, but one bicycle ride to the post office swept a traveling bee into my shirt collar, and waited until we were in front of our po box, before she decided to reveal her presence by stinging me several times, while I peeled off my shirt and she fell to the floor.  The stings weren't too bad, and were gone after a day.  It is true, that the Yellowjackets are having a boom year here.  Mother Nature put out the Aphid boom, and it was answered immediately by the predators.

Cheers!

MT


No comments:

Post a Comment