Thursday, January 19, 2023

Batch #215 ~ Basalt Mountain Hops Ale

 

My good friend Robb Janssen has a fine hops vine climbing up his guest yurt, and he brought me a grocery sack full of the hops flowers in the Fall of 2021, which I used exclusively for this first batch of 2022.  His hops gave this ale a distinctive flavor, which I can't identify as a known variety, so we just call it "Basalt Mountain Hops".

I've given Robb some bottles to save and share, and I'm holding onto a good number of them myself, to let age for a few years, to see how the brew matures.  My bottle-conditioned ales tend to be at their finest around 3 years out, then after 4 years, they tend to decline in flavor, all due to the live yeast in the bottles.  We'll see how they are in 2024 and 2025.

Meanwhile, Robb has given me another bag of these hops, harvested in 2022, and the brews go on in '23.

Cheers!

MT
 

No comments:

Post a Comment