Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Batch #189 ~ Pumpkin Ale




My wife was not amused by my "FIRED!!" label, so to keep peace in the house, I have prepared a slightly tamer label, less irreverent, but still soliciting a smile, hopefully.

I did raise the pumpkin used in this batch.  It was a "jack-o-lantern" variety, which I halved, cleaned, rubbed insides with olive oil and brown sugar, then roasted in the oven until soft.  I spooned out the cooked pumpkin flesh, chopped it up roughly, placed it in a fine-mesh pull-string bag, and floated this in the boil for the last 20 minutes.  I used no pumpkin pie spices, but rather just let the pumpkin flavor come through the hops.  That pumpkin mash I did not waste.  Infused as it was with hops from the boil, I concocted a curried soup in which it performed admirably.

For this silly label, which will not grace any bottles (well, maybe one or two), I carved the pumpkin, backlit and photographed it on Halloween.  The Pumpkin Ale itself was made with Base malt and Carabohemian malt, an oven-roasted, 10# Jack 'O Lantern pumpkin grown in my garden, US Fuggle pellet hops, and Safale #S-33 dry yeast.

I "borrowed" the image of the hairpiece off the internet, and fired up the title and background, in honor of our current nemesis (nem·e·sis - the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall).

Gotta do something to amuse myself in these dreary times.

Stay cheerful,
MT

No comments:

Post a Comment